Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Why a blog

I was in the shower this morning and had some topics floating through my head and thinking, "Man, I should write this stuff down."  But I already keep a daily journal so why do more work?  I realized that when I do write in my journal, it's usually late at night, right before bed.  I don't tend to get very philosophical at that time, having depleted the daily allotment of brain cells during the course of the day.  I also realized that I seem to write better when I have an audience.  There is no guarantee that this blog will have any kind of audience, but it is public and not private like the journal entries are.  ("Does she like me?  Does she like me or like me?  What if she doesn't?  What if she does?  Oh diary, what am I going to do?")  No, I can be manly here.  Or at least, pretend to be manlier.  Which is cool.  (I'm cool.  I don't even have to try.  I just am.  What's that?  I can hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.)
So that's my introduction to this blog.  I do feel like I want to explain the name though.  I have some pretty intelligent friends who know what contrails are, but then I have friends that probably don't.  So in the spirit of fairness, a contrail is that stream of white cloud that comes out of a jet engine as it passes through the air.  I won't go into why they are created, but they mark the passage of a jet airplane.  I once wrote a poem called Contrails and I thought it was very good.  (I think I let something slip--it's manly to write poetry, right?)  It was about...well, I'll just include it at the bottom of this entry.  You don't have to inflict it on yourself if you don't want to.  Anyway, the name Dehavik means "the hawk" in Dutch and I thought there was a cool connection there between flight, and something showing it has been through the area, like the tracks of an animal.  And what kind of tracks might a hawk make?  Well, contrails.  If he was moving fast enough.


here's the poem:

contrails

cris-
crossing
the path
a scent of jasmine
hangs
floating
after she
walks by



My Facebook page, if you are interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment